When people think about buying tennis equipment, the first thing that comes to mind…are the best tennis rackets or the coolest tennis outfits. They will buy expensive rackets and shirts from Nike, Wilson & Co. But they will go for cheap tennis shoes. I can only warn to do so. You should not be stingy when buying good tennis shoes!
Think about all the movements you have to do on court while playing tennis. You pretty much never stand still. Split steps, lateral movements all the time and sprints to the net. This is highly challenging for your whole body and you have to support these movements by wearing good tennis shoes.
What you should look for:
- You need a good grip to be able to move fast. So its important to use shoes that are specifically made for the surface you play on (clay / hardcourt / gras / carpet). The soles of tennis shoes have certain profiles that provide the necessary grip for each surface.
- Your legs and feet are under enourmous pressure with all the changes of direction during a tennis match. So the shoes should be stiff and stable. The sides as well as front and back should not fold easily.
- Cushioning effect
- Always choose shoes with cushioning. Your whole body will thank you, especially your joints and back. You may not feel a missing cushioning effect during a match, but will regret it afterwards.
- Correct fit
- This goes without saying. The shoes should fit PERFECTLY. Neither to loose, nor too tight. But your toes should not press directly against the shoe. They need a little space, because during stopping motions, they will naturally move up front.
- Popular materials are leather and synthetics. Leather works fine, but is a little outdated. There are high-quality synthetic materials available. They provide better air circulation and let your feet breathe. Additionally they are lighter and extremely durable.
- Regarding the weight of a tennis shoe its always a compromise between speed and stability. You will be able to move quicker with lighter shoes. But since they would be from thinner materials, you would sacrifice stability. Its really a question of your playing style. Just test a few different models.
- Watch out for high-grade manufacture with resilient materials. In order to keep your tennis shoes durable and in a good state for a long time, you should impregnate them before using the first time. You can also clean them regularly. But dont put them into the washing machine. There are specific brushes available for that.
So tennis shoes do not help you hitting the shots. But they help you to move as good as possible, which ultimately supports your shots as well. In my opinion it is much more important to buy high-quality tennis shoes than buying the most expensive racket.
So lets have a look at the Top 10 tennis shoes.
Best Men`s Tennis Shoes
10. Adidas Men’s Solecourt Primeblue Tennis Shoe
A good choice for tennis players with wider feet. Very sturdy shoes and stylish look.
9. Adidas Men’s Courtjam Bounce Tennis Shoe
Very comfortable shoes that let your feet breath. They feel light and are suitable for hardcourts.
8. Babolat Men’s Jet Mach 3 Tennis Shoes
Babolat is a very well-known tennis brand and you cannot go wrong with their shoes. The Jet Mach 3 is light, stable and supportive. Just feels great on your feet while playing tennis. Including shock absorption, which is extremely important.
7. ASICS Men’s Gel-Challenger 13 Tennis Shoes
Enhanced stability for lateral movements, which are quite common in tennis. They are quite narrow, so not suitable for wider feet. Available in all white or black/white for a fair price.
6. HEAD Men’s Revolt Pro 3.0 Homme Tennis Shoe
Great all-court tennis shoes from Head for a cheap price. A very sturdy and strong shoe that makes you feel save while chasing the yellow ball.
5. ASICS Men’s Gel-Resolution 8 Tennis Shoes
Certainly one of the best tennis shoes for men available. Great cushioning effect to give your body some rest. Typical Asics quality and suitable for hardcourts. The blue/white color combination makes them look great as well.
4. Adidas Unisex-Adult Adizero Ubersonic 3 Tennis Shoe
The best Adidas tennis shoes for a very reasonable price. Actually its unisex, so both men and women could wear it. But I see mostly men wearing them. And they look extremely stylish by the way. Good built-in ventilation system as well, so your feet will be able to breathe. The adidas Adizero Ubersonic 3 is simply value for money.
3. WILSON Rush Pro Ace Men’s Tennis Shoe
The Wilson Rush Pro Ace is a great allcourt tennis shoe. Use it on hardcourt or clay at best.
2. YONEX Men’s Power Cushion Fusion Rev 4 Tennis Shoes
Yonex as a brand is much more well-known for badminton, but they produce great tennis equipment as well. Their Power Cushion Fusion Rev 4 is a great allcourt shoe. So if you want to try a new brand after Wilson, Babolat & Co, Yonex is worth it.
1. ASICS Men’s Gel-Challenger 12 Tennis Shoes
Now here we have my favourite pair of tennis shoes. A little surprising that its Asics, because they are not the most well-known tennis brand. But they deliver high-quality products in all of their sports. And the Mens Gel Challenger 12 is no different. It just has the best package. Sturdy, durable, comfortable, three cool color combos. And all this for a cheap price.
So these are the Top 10 best tennis shoes on the market. Feel free to leave a comment, if you know other recommended tennis shoes.
Also read: Top 10 Best Tennis Rackets in the World